Kevin is the Managing Director of Ascentant and provides cashiering support to a number of clients. He is an ILFM qualified legal finance professional with over 13 years’ experience of legal cashiering with a variety of law firms. Kevin has particular expertise in supporting the UK offices of US law firms.
- 13 Years Legal Cashiering experience
- Experienced in law firm launches and establishing finance processes and procedures
- Full, end to end cashiering knowledge: client cashiering, treasury, accounts payable, billing and revenue control
- Qualified member of the ILFM (Institute of Legal Finance & Management)
- Package Capability: P4W/Tikit, Elite, Arista, CMS/Aderant, Solictors Own Software, Lawsoft, Elite
- Banking Capability: Lloydslink, RBS/Bankline , Barclays, HSBC Net
- Ebilling Capacity: Serengeti, Datacert, Collabarati
- Providing training to a US law firm on client account rules, in preparation for a London launch.
- (Locke Lord / Edwards Wildman) Liaison and supervision of European office multicurrency bank reconciliations, postings and training. Assistance with billing, withholding tax and VAT reconciliations. Monitoring of client residual balances, office credit balances and SAR compliance. Setting up and maintaining Ebilling.
- Set up the London based accounting function for a US law firm including accounts payable, client cashiering and treasury, billing and revenue control.
- Responsible for five members of staff in London for a UK law firm, undertaking the cashiering/treasury and accounts payable functions of the firm and supporting international members of the finance team.
Professional CV (Prior to Ascentant Limited)
December 14 – May 16
• Development of client accounting policies, client interest policies, travel and expense polices in accordance with SRA and HMRC requirements.
• Development of bespoke training materials and accounting manuals.
• Implementation of a practice management system to support accounting, billing, time recording and reporting requirements.
• Development and implementation of procedures, workflows, accounting forms and templates.
• New entrant advice on regulatory registrations, engagements and considerations.
• Assistance with SRA breach policies and profiling.
• Reviewing finance and banking arrangements, funding and capital requirements.
• Transactional support to include accounts payables, client billing and client cashiering in accordance with SRA and HMRC requirements
• Review of existing policies, procedures and workflows in compliance with SRA and HMRC compliance.
• Payroll support and processing.
• UK VAT returns, EU Sales Lists, US W9 support.
• Review and reconciliation of control accounts, inter company accounts, P&L and balance sheet accounts.
• Revision, journals and amendments to GL accounts; Management accounts including accruals and prepayments.
• Audit support for client accounting and statutory audit.
• Cashflow forecasting, expense profiling and cash management
Edwards Wildman (UK) LLP
November 13 – Present – December 14
Accounts and Billing
- Liaison and supervision of European office multicurrency bank reconciliations, outstanding postings and training. Assisting with postings. Assisting with billing, withholding tax and VAT reconciliations
- Reconciliation of supplier deposit accounts with OHIM, WIPO and EPO
- Posting of client chargeable disbursements, expert fees and counsel fees.
- Management and monitoring of residual client account balances.
- Review of client account policies for SAR compliance.
- Production of draft bills, amendments and final bills.
- Applying special rates, discounts and charge out rate maintenance
- Production, processing and logging of E-bills
- Preparing management reports on departmental aged WIP, debtor days and client specific reporting
- Chasing late time recording, assisting with time narratives and amendments
Goodwin Procter (UK) LLP
March 13 – September 13
- Setting up a London based accounting function for a US law firm to include accounts payable, client cashiering and treasury, billing and revenue control.
- Audit of current workflows, policies and procedures to be compliant with SAR rules and HMRC regulations including VAT and tax/NI dues on staff expenses in accordance with dispensation and PSA contracts.
- Accounts payable – Dealing with accounts payable invoices, credit card statements and petty cash reconciliations. Reviewing workflows and forms.
- Billing – Reviewing and modifying the billing process including centralising the billing function. Changing the bill template to be HMRC and SAR compliant. Producing prebills. Transferring WIP and disbursements.
- Client cashiering – Changing the firms banking arrangements, introducing a new client account policy, client account interest policy and new client receipt, transfer and payment forms. Dealing with client account receipts, client account payments and transfers.
- Cashflow – Producing cashflow forecasts. Bank reconciliations.
- Compliance – Working with IT to set up exception reports for SAR breaches. Setting up the breach reporting process and breach log
Watson Farley & Williams
October 10 – February 13
- Responsible for five members of staff in London, undertaking the cashiering/treasury and accounts payable functions of the firm and supporting international members of the finance team.
- Training, appraising and assisting the team in London and overseas.
- Reviewing worldwide cashflow reports and identifying funding issues in overseas offices or trading surplus currencies to London.
- Reviewing firms revolving loan facility on a weekly basis in accordance with cashflow reporting.
- Review of all client account transactions on a monthly basis with a member of the board.
- Signing off monthly bank and petty cash reconciliations
- Reviewing and releasing all departmental payments via the firms bankline system including monthly payment runs and ad hoc payments.
- Setting up client deposits and money market transactions.
- Reviewing prepayments, preparing schedules and posting appropriate journals to release monthly prepayments.
- Payroll journals for offices in Greece, New York and Paris.
- Greek VAT return reconciliation to sales and purchase ledgers and control account journals
- Reviewing firm policies for travel and expenses for board review.
- Reviewing departmental induction processes and implementing an induction pack and new guidance on the firms intranet.
- Reviewing departmental internal training needs and producing a training manual and individual training plans
- Ensuring transactions are compliant with firm policies, the solicitors accounts rules and VAT regulations.
- Two week visit to Hamburg office during March 2012 to assist with backlog of work, identify training needs, review policies and procedures and assist with implementation.
Holman Fenwick Willan
November 08 – October 10
Accounts Payable Supervisor
- Responsible for three members of staff, training, appraising and assisting.
- Receiving, logging, sending for authorisation and posting of purchase ledger invoices and credit notes.
- Reviewing and changing fee earner expense system – Previous ad hoc payments processed through purchase ledger accounts.
- Reviewing and implementing new policies, procedures and forms for staff expenses for PSA reporting purposes, applying for a dispensation and VAT reclaim.
- Reviewing paper based invoice authorisation system for transition to electronic authorisation.
- Month end accruals
- Checking, processing and filing of counsel and expert fees
- Payment of counsel and expert fees
- Posting rechargable disbursements - Taxis, couriers, search and library fees
- Coding, authorisation and processing of non chargeable invoices
- Journals and disbursement editing
- Processing cheque and CHAPS payments from the client account
- Processing BACS and CHAPS receipts to the client account
- Sterling petty cash and foreign petty cash
- Currency advances, returns and reconciliations
- Dealing with fee earner travel and entertainment expenses
September 07 – October 08
Assignments for CMS Cameron McKenna, Bates Wells & Braithwaite, Denton Wilde Sapte and Judge Sykes Frixou
DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary LLP
August 05- Sept 07
Assistant Legal Cashier
- Multi currency bank reconciliations
- Cash allocation- Funds received by CHAPS/BACS- High volume
- Office and Client account bank reconciliations
- Payments- Sending funds by CHAPS/BACS, ensuring monies cleared and payment details (sort code, SWIFT, IBAN) are present.
- Transfers and journals including client to office transfers
- Issuing currency advances, managing advances and returns plus reconciling the currency suspense account.
- Banking- Ensuring cheques correctly allocated and posted
- Inputting and verifying staff expenses
- Petty cash management and reconciliation
- Inputting and verifying cheque requests plus printing & arranging signing of cheques
- Posting direct debits to general ledgers and journaling to chargeable files as required
- Reconciling suspense account
- Producing WIP reports
- Producing bills and entering bills onto the accounts system
- Opening and closing clients/matters
Davies Arnold Cooper Solicitors
September 04- August 05
Junior Accounts Assistant
- Office banking, posting expert and counsel fee notes and other disbursements.
- Posting journals, petty cash and direct debits.
- Posting office account cheques and staff expenses.
Ascentant Limited, Laurie House, Colyear Street, Derby, DE1 1LA
Ascentant Limited, 86-90 Paul Street, London, EC2A 4NE
01332 897356 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Accounting | Bookkeeping | Legal Cashiering | HR | HR Consultancy | HR Consultant | HR Consultancy Derby | Accountant Derby | Accounting Derby | Accountancy Derby | Bookkeeping Derby | Bookkeeper Derby | IT Consultants | IT Consultancy | IT Derby | IT Consultants Derby | IT Consultancy Derby | IT | Marketing | Outsourced Legal Cashiering | Accountants | Accountant | Bookkeeper | LEAP | ILFM | Derby Law Society | Solicitors Accounts Rules | SRA | Quickbooks | Xero | Sage | Payroll | VAT | Payroll Derby | Accountant Derby | Legal Cashier | Legal Cashiering | IT Support | Outsourced IT | Outsourced Bookkeeping | Outsourced Accounting | Outsourced Accountancy | HR Support | Outsourced HR | HR Support Derby | Outsourced HR Derby | IT Support Derby | Outsourced IT Derby